Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Waving Flag

Today as I passed the student center on my way to class, I noticed that the flags on top of the Tiger Transit station were moving due to the wind.  But the wind wasn't blowing as hard where I was standing. This is because, the higher the altitude, the harder the wind blows.  Wind is caused by a difference in pressure, and when there is a pressure gradient, wind is accelerated.  Also, low pressure areas have faster air speeds than higher pressure areas.  The higher the altitude, the lower the pressure.  Thus, the higher the altitude, the faster the wind blows.  As you get closer to the ground, friction prevents the wind speeds to be as fast as it is at higher altitudes, which is why I couldn't feel the same wind speed that was making the flags move this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment