Sunday, October 23, 2011

Electric shock

We were in the middle of practice picking up tennis balls with plastic tubes. When I put the balls in our metal baskets, I got an electrical shock.  This is because I had extra electrons in my body when I touched the metal. There are many factors that come into play here.  First off: the weather.  Winter is approaching, and the air becomes more dry during the winter. The dryness in the air prevents the electrons from moving away from our bodies, makings us build up static charges.  Second, the plastic tubes. Plastic is an insulator, meaning it doesn't hold electrons well.  When I was touching the tube, electrons moved from the tube to my hands, giving me static charges.  When I touched the metal (which is a conductor), the electrons moved from my body to the metal basket, creating the electric shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment